Santa Cruz Lighthouse and World’s First Surfing Museum
May 29, 2012 Leave a comment
The Santa Cruz Lighthouse is located at the north end of Monterey Bay. It was in service from 1870-1948, and had a steady red light to warn mariners of danger. The lighthouse was rebuilt in 1967, and it is now home to the world’s first Surfing Museum. The Surfing Museum contains surfboards, photographs, and other memorabilia. It overlooks “Steamer Lane”, a world class surfing hot spot that was dedicated as a World Surfing Reserve in April 2012. The earliest surfboards were made of redwood. The wooden boards could be up to 12 feet long, and weigh over 100 pounds!